Health Insurance Information
Getting 2016 Coverage with a
Special Enrollment Period
The annual Open Enrollment Period is over. You can now enroll in a 2016 insurance plan through the Health Insurance Marketplace only if you have a life event that qualifies you for a Special Enrollment Period.
When you apply, you'll also find out if you qualify for coverage through Medicaid or the Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP). If you do, coverage can start the day you apply or earlier.
Changes that qualify for a Special Enrollment Period
Loss of Health Coverage
You may qualify for a Special Enrollment Period if you lost qualifying health coverage in the past 60 days OR expect anyone in your household to lose coverage in the next 60 days.
Coverage losses that may qualify you for a Special Enrollment Period:
• Losing job-based coverage
• Losing individual health coverage for a plan or policy you bought yourself
• Losing eligibility for Medicaid or CHIP
• Losing eligibility for Medicare
• Losing coverage through a family member
Change in Household Size
You may qualify for a Special Enrollment if you or anyone in your household in the past 60 days:
• Got married. Pick a plan by the last day of the month and your coverage can start the first day of the next month.
• Had a baby, adopted a child, or placed a child for foster care. Your coverage can start the day of the event -
even if you enroll in the plan up to 60 days afterward.
• Got divorced or legally separated and lost health insurance.
*Note: Divorce or legal separation without losing coverage doesn't qualify you for a Special Enrollment Period.
• Death. You'll be eligible for a Special Enrollment Period if someone on your Marketplace plan dies and as a result
you're no longer eligible for your current health plan.
Change in Residence
Household moves that qualify you for a Special Enrollment Period:
• Moving to a new home.
• A student moving to or from the place they attend school.
• A seasonal worker moving to or from the place they both live and work.
• Moving to or from a shelter or other transitional housing.
*Note: Moving only for medical treatment or staying somewhere for vacation doesn't qualify you for an SEP.
More Qualifying Changes
Other life changes that may qualify you for a Special Enrollment Period:
• Changes in your income that affect the coverage you qualify for.
• Gaining membership in a federally recognized tribe or status as an Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act (ANCAS)
• Becoming a U.S. Citizen.
• Leaving incarceration (jail or prison).
• AmeriCorps members starting or ending their service.
Frost Insurance Agency: Providing insurance for the communities of Napoleon, Holgate, Wauseon, Leipsic, Defiance, and throughout the entire State of Ohio, since 1945.
Napoleon: 419.592.4476 • Holgate: 419.264.2051 • firstname.lastname@example.org
Own a business? Looking for Group Health? Frost Insurance Agency, Inc. also offers health insurance for your group.